Mr. Monteverde has concentrated his legal career advocating shareholder rights. Mr. Monteverde regularly handles high profile merger cases seeking to maximize shareholder value and has recovered damages and improved merger transactions in the process.
Mr. Monteverde has also broken new ground when it comes to challenging proxies related to compensation issues post Dodd-Frank Act for not providing accurate disclosure required for shareholders to cast informed votes. Knee v. Brocade Comm’ns Sys., Inc., No. 1-12-CV-220249, slip op. at 2 (Cal. Super. Ct. Santa Clara Cnty. Apr. 10, 2012) (Kleinberg, J.) (enjoining the 2012 shareholder vote because certain information relating to projected executive compensation (as related to an equity plan share increase that had a potential dilutive effect on shareholders) was not properly disclosed in the proxy statement).
Mr. Monteverde has written articles regarding executive compensation and also speaks regularly at ABA, PLI, ACI and other conferences regarding merger litigation or executive compensation issues.
Mr. Monteverde has been selected by Super Lawyers in 2013 and 2017 as a New York Metro Rising Star in Securities Litigation, an award given to less than 2.5% of attorneys in a particular field. Mr. Monteverde has also been selected by Martindale-Hubbell as a 2017 Top Rated Lawyer.
Below is a list of selected cases and achievements:
- In Re American Capital, Ltd. Shareholder Litigation, Case No. 422598-V (Rockwell Cty, MD 2018)(obtaining $17.5 million post close cash settlement)
- In Re Jefferies Group, Inc. Shareholders Litigation, Cons. C.A. No. 8059-CB (Del. Ch. 2015)(obtaining as co-lead counsel $70 million post-close settlement)
- In re Force Protection, Inc. Shareholder Litigation, Case No. A-11-651336-B (Nev. Dist. Ct. Clark Cnty. 2015)(obtaining as co-lead counsel $11 million post-close cash settlement)
- In re Orchard Enterprises, Inc. Stockholder Litigation, C.A. No. 7840-VCL (Del. Ch. 2014) (obtaining as co-lead counsel $10.725 million post-close cash settlement)
- In Re Harleysville Group, Inc. S’holders Litigation, C.A. 6907-VCP (Del. Ch. 2014)(obtaining significant disclosures for stockholders pre-close and securing valuable relief post close in the form of an Anti-Flip Provision providing former stockholders with 25% of any profits in a Qualifying Sale)
- In re Cogent, Inc. Shareholders Litigation, Consol. C.A. No. 5780-VCP (Del. Ch. 2013) (obtaining as co-lead counsel post-close cash settlement of $1.9 million)
- J.D., cum laude, St. Thomas University School of Law
- B.S., Finance, California State University of Northridge
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Western District of New York
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- District of Colorado
- 7th Circuit, US Court of Appeals
- 9th Circuit, US Court of Appeals